Monday, July 7, 2014

Just Peachy

My hands-down favorite part about summer is peach ice cream! Peaches are my favorite fruit, so I have to binge eat them in the summer while they are in season. Today is my birthday (yay me!) so I decided the perfect ending to a hot day would be to make up a big ole batch. I have a regular churn that makes about a gallon, so you might have to adjust according to your churn size. 

I love to bake because I like to precisely measure out everything. My mom however, is more of a cook and is the type of person to say "add a pinch or handful of ..." Well this drives me CRAZY. This is her recipe so I've tried my best to convert her "measurements" to real amounts.

Here's what you'll need:
Peaches (about 8-10)
2 cups of sugar (I usually tip in a little more because I like it super sweet--like me)
1 small can of Carnation milk
1 tsp vanilla 
4 cups of whole milk (for all you non-mathematics people, that's a quart)
Ice (at least a 10 lb bag)
Rock salt

It's best if you can get soft peaches, or leave them out a few days to soften up


Peel and slice up the peaches. The blender should be about half full


Then add in your sugar, Carnation milk, and vanilla


Blend it all up til it's smooth. 
I don't like chunky ice cream, but you can blend it for less time to get chunks of peaches.


Once you pour it into the cylinder for the churn, add the whole milk and stir it together. There should be a mark on the outside of the tub telling where the max fill line is...make sure you don't go above that because the ice cream expands as it hardens. 


Put it in the churn


Fill 'er up with ice and rock salt. I usually do a layer of ice, layer of rock salt, and repeat. 
Check on it every 10 minutes or so. Add more ice and rock salt when it starts melting.
It took about 40 minutes for the ice cream to be ready. I think it could have used a few more minutes, but my brother was being Mr. Impatient and insisted that is was ready.


There it is...the most wonderful, delicious, creamy, refreshing peach ice cream you'll ever eat. 


And now time for me to enjoy my treat.




No comments:

Post a Comment