Tuesday, June 3, 2014

How the Cookie Crumbles

In honor of it being my best friend's birthday today, I had to make her a cookie cake. It's a tradition of ours to celebrate with cookie cake. I can even remember a time in college when one of our roommates made us a stick figure cookie cake labeled in Spanish in honor of both of us acing our Anatomy and Spanish tests that week. A few years ago I made her a Despicable Me minion cookie cake (pictured below). But with this being a bigger and better year (#25), I had to outdo myself. Lately she's been obsessed with Doctor Who...I mean OBSESSED, so I decided to make her a Tardis design. I forgot to make pics of the steps of the cookie cake being made, but it's super simple. I can't take credit for coming up with the recipe - I got it from my Kitchenaid mixer's recipe book. It hasn't failed me yet, and you shouldn't fix somethin that aint broke. 

B-day Minion Cookie Cake



 Ingredients:
Cookie Part
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (I usually add a few extra for better taste...those calories don't count right?)

Icing
*note, I doubled this recipe because I was covering the entire cookie cake and using different colors. Usually the listed amount will be plenty (again, these extra calories don't count right?)
1 lb powdered sugar
1/2 cup Crisco
1/4 water
pinch of salt

Steps:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place sugars, butter, eggs, and vanilla into a bowl. Mix all of them together. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry mixture while the batter is mixing. Add in chocolate chips and stir together. After this point you can drop spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet to make individual cookies, or glop it all together for a cake. Bake either choice for 10-12 minutes.

Here's the final product!


 Make sure when you make the icing, you add the water slowly - you might not need the entire water amount, just depends on how thin you want the icing.
Fun fact: I named my Kichenaid stand mixer Amelia (I name a lot of my stuff)


 When adding colors, it's a good idea to use gel colors, that way the colors are nice and vibrant without using a lot of color, which tends to make the icing runny. 


I knew the Tardis colors were blue, black, and white so I took out some icing and put it into two different plastic sandwich baggies. (Just cut a SMALL hole in one of the corners for piping - I didn't feel like getting out my entire decorating kit so I decided to skip corners this time)

Since blue was the main color and it didn't need to be piped, I left it in the mixer.


Covered in blue icing.


I piped out a black strip at the top where the writing will go in a minute.


It just wouldn't be a successful event if everything went smoothly...while making the windows, my cheap icing baggy busted and a huge glop of icing fell out :(


But no worries...I'm an expert fixer so I just smoothed it in and decided to put black lines for the windows instead.


The finished cookie cake! I can't wait to dig in!


Here's what the actual Tardis is supposed to look like, for all my non-Whovians out there. 


Happy birthday best friend! I hope you have a wonderful day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment